Configuration export/import

Frank Pedroza

26 Sep, 2016 07:58 PM

Is it possible to export or import project configuration? Ideally, I'd like to have a way to better control changes to our PostageApp configuration such that changes to our configuration could be better protected. If I could export our existing configuration in some format, I could source control that, make changes, and re-import the configuration.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Scott Tadman on 26 Sep, 2016 08:25 PM

What sort of configuration do you mean? The mail server settings and other project metadata? The templates themselves? It's something we might be able to accommodate if you have some specific examples here.

Would linking the templates to a git repository (e.g. GitHub) be a useful solution here?

2. 2 Posted by Pedroza, Frank ... on 26 Sep, 2016 08:36 PM

The template themselves. I'm not sure how linking the templates to a git repo would work given that our git repo isn't public.

From: Scott Tadman <[email blocked]<mailto:[email blocked]>>
    Reply-To: "[email blocked]<mailto:[email blocked]>" <[email blocked]<mailto:[email blocked]>>

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Scott Tadman on 26 Sep, 2016 08:39 PM

It is possible to have GitHub authenticate with an external application and be granted read permissions on a private repository. If you had one expressly for your mail templates that would be a convenient way of keeping strong version control and also limit read access to the remainder of your application. It's a feature we've been considering adding but there hasn't been a lot of demand for such a thing.

Another way of doing it would be to have an rsync like push feature you could use to synchronize on-disk templates with the configuration on PostageApp, perhaps using rsync directly, by exposing your project as a git repository, or by some kind of command-line client you can use.

Just ideas here to help facilitate your feature request. If you have a particular take on it, we're interested to hear.

4. 4 Posted by Pedroza, Frank ... on 26 Sep, 2016 09:01 PM

Using rsync to push to PostageApp would be nice.

Reply-To: "[email blocked]<mailto:[email blocked]>" <[email blocked]<mailto:[email blocked]>>
    Date: Monday, September 26, 2016 at 2:39 PM
    To: Frank Pedroza <[email blocked]<mailto:[email blocked]>>
    Subject: Re: Configuration export/import [Questions #522]

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Scott Tadman on 26 Sep, 2016 10:04 PM

I'll see what the engineering team can do to accommodate that. Another question: What version control system would be ideal here if rsync was not an option?

6. 6 Posted by Pedroza, Frank ... on 26 Sep, 2016 10:08 PM

git

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Scott Tadman on 26 Sep, 2016 10:09 PM

Good to know. Thanks!

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with PostageApp please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

30 Apr, 2017 01:56 PM
31 Mar, 2017 10:35 PM
10 Mar, 2017 11:34 AM