Remove recipient from future emails

Elitza Nicolaou

02 Mar, 2016 07:09 PM

Hi! I don't see an easy way to prevent someone from receiving a second email if they meet our "send" conditions for a second time. Is there a blacklist or unsubscribe feature that I can use if someone has requested to not receive any more emails from us?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Scott Tadman on 02 Mar, 2016 08:36 PM

There's no internal blacklisting feature at this time. You should have an endpoint on your application for "one click unsubscribe" and embed a link to this into all communications.

A simple way to construct a token for this purpose is to combine the email address with some sort of "secret" and apply a hashing method like SHA256. It just has to be reproducibly unique and at the same time not allow a malicious actor to arbitrarily unsubscribe people from your list. This is why putting in a plain-text email address in that link is a bad plan.

Often this "email token" is stored in the database so you can look it up quickly when someone unsubscribes. If that's not practical, you can include a plain-text email and the hashed token as a security measure, verifying that the token matches what it should be. So long as nobody has your secret string this should be a robust enough solution.

If you need any help getting this integrated with PostageApp, just let me know.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with PostageApp please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

18 Sep, 2017 04:58 PM
17 Sep, 2017 09:26 PM
12 Sep, 2017 04:49 PM